Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hi, are you like me?

Well, this is the first time I've ever blogged.  I was diagnosed with Type 1 latex allergy and Oral food syndrome almost two years ago.  Since then my whole world has been shaken.  I was in the health profession, my employer supported me by supplying the correct materials for about a year.  Then all of a sudden they switched to a cheaper latex product and I had an anaphylactic reaction and am no longer able to go back to work unless they get rid of the latex.  They decided to keep the latex and get rid of me.  That was low.  My whole family has been affected.  Where I can eat out, depends on what type of gloves the kitchen staff wear while prepping the food.  Some buildings I walk into have something in the air because my throat closes up pretty quick.  Some of the clothes I'd like to wear have latex in the elastics.  Some days I feel like I should be in a bubble.  So now I have to find a new career, wish me luck and let me know if you have experienced anything like this.  I you need to talk.......

5 comments:

  1. Hey Victoria, thanks for checking out my blog! My allergy isn't as bad as yours but I'm aware it's likely to get worse in the future.

    I know how difficult it is trying to stay away from latex as it's EVERYWHERE, which is the reason people develop the allergy in the first place, through over-exposure. I wish society would realise this and stop using it in everything, but how do we make our voices heard!? ):

    I'm so sorry about your job, that's awful of them. I do wish you good luck finding a new career. I had to give up on my chosen career - special effects makeup - as latex is used so much in it. There are now some latex allternatives for prostetic makeup, but just like everywhere else people are reluctant to give up on the latex things which are cheap and have always been used.

    I see you are in Canada, I don't know what's going on there, but in the UK I believe our health service is in the process of switching to non-latex gloves and equipment across the board because so many people who work in hospitals are developing this allergy. There are even stories of nurses winning compensation because of the allergy being caused be being forced to work with latex(http://www.nursingtimes.net/whats-new-in-nursing/nurse-wins-compensation-over-latex-allergy/932059.article)

    Try and find out if anything like this is happening where you are. Also, I don't know about the laws in Canada, but surely letting you go rather than the latex is unfair dismissal? ):

    Keep up the blogging, and take care. Are you on the http://lasg.org.uk/ forum?

    xx Poppie(Stickie)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not on that forum but I'll be sure to check it out. There are some laws here trying to stop employers from acting the way my previous employer did, but it's still quite a fight. The hospitals are switching to non-latex alternatives for the most part and when my job did take me into the hospital with patients they were quick to accomidate me and they would make my OR non latex for the entire session. It's the dental offices here that are all privately owned and only slightly regulated who love latex so much. I am looking at going into Accounting now, I can do that from home if I have to. I remember my son wanted some prostetic makeup last Halloween and we found out it was latex, that's a creative field, I'm sorry you've had to lose it.

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi

    I am in the same boat I left health care and now work in an office. Have you taken proper legal advice? Try LAF on yahoo groups, they have members in Canada even though it is US based. They are good on support/legal/ work issues. They may know someone who can support you locally. Good luck. Clare

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Clare, I do have a lawyer helping me out, I have no idea how long it will take but at least something will happen. We have filed with the human rights tribunal here, I'll be sure to let you know how that works out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FYI - I settled the lawsuit and moved to a new town, it was time for a change.

    ReplyDelete